Luke read Law at the University of Nottingham, and went on to obtain a Masters from the University of Manchester. He was called to the Bar in 2011.
Luke has an enviable multifaceted practice, reflecting his wealth of knowledge, keen intellect, and comfort with complex factual matrices. He concentrates mainly on the following areas:
Luke has extensive experience in successfully representing claimants following negligent medical treatment. He regularly conducts conferences with experts, drafts detailed statements of case, and composes comprehensive schedules of loss. Examples of his clinical negligence work to date include cases of:
- Delayed diagnosis of cancer, which subsequently metastasised.
- Delayed diagnosis of lymphoma.
- Delayed diagnosis of fracture, necessitating eventual fusion surgery.
- Failure to obtain informed consent prior to surgery, where small risk subsequently materialised.
- Failure to properly investigate and diagnose, leading to avoidable amputation.
- Failure to adequately safety-net and provide after care.
- Failure to adequately diagnose ectopic pregnancy.
- Negligent performance of labiaplasty amounting to Female Genital Mutilation – successful at final trial.
Luke regularly acts in cases whose value exceeds £500,000. Instructing solicitors often comment that Luke brings real value to a case and his Schedules of Loss are of outstanding quality. His recent work involved representing a young man who suffered a diffuse axonal brain injury, which settled for in excess of £1million.
Luke is currently representing another gentleman who suffered a significant diffuse axonal brain injury.
Luke regularly represents professionals and corporate bodies in all manner of civil and commercial disputes. Within the last year alone he has acted in such cases involving:
- Defending (advising, drafting and representing at Court) a company and its directors from various claims brought by former directors.
- Representing a banking institution in a breach of guarantee case.
- Advising on an alleged breach of trust of a trustee.
- Advising and attending court in a case involving issues regarding constructive trusts, proprietary estoppel, and options to purchase.
- Breaches of franchise agreements.
- Construction of commercial contracts.
- Representing corporate entities, including PLCs, in actions to recover debts e.g. for unpaid invoices for works done and/or goods supplied.
- Advising and representing a leading North West home-building company, and also many individuals, in civil building disputes, as claimant and defendant, including cases under the Sale of Goods Act, Supply of Goods and Services Act, and consumer protection legislation.
- Representing a sector-leading national and international supplier of goods in a case involving issues concerning implied terms as to quality and the exercise of reasonable care and skill.
- Two-day trial concerning the correct interpretation of the Gas Act 1986 & the Gas Code, and issues of repudiation, rescission and quantum meruit to name but a few.
Luke is quick to develop a rapport with clients and solicitors, and is happy to respond quickly to emails and calls from those who instruct him looking for a quick view or a second opinion.
When not working, Luke enjoys golfing and climbing as well as wowing crowds playing the Flugelhorn in a brass band.